H2O: Dangerous Chemical!
A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. … In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical “dihydrogen monoxide.”
And for plenty of good reasons, since:
- it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
- it is a major component in acid rain
- it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
- accidental inhalation can kill you
- it contributes to erosion
- it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
- it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
- Forty-three (43) said yes,
- six (6) were undecided,
- and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.
The title of his prize winning project was, “How Gullible Are We?”
He feels the conclusion is obvious.
It seems to me, a boy who is hardly into his second decade has discovered a sad truth; we as consumers and contributors to public opinion are far to easily persuaded. When it comes to purchasing products and services, don’t be afraid to ask around, read reviews, price check and decide for yourself what is the most ethical and cost effective choice.
Practicing critical evaluation may guarantee at the next science fair, you will be theÂ one (1) that knewÂ the chemical was water.
-APPLE GLASS and MIRROR TEAM